OBJECTIVE OF THE OBSERVATORY
The aim of the Observatory is the assessment and systematic monitoring, in constant time base, the spatial effects of construction and operation of road projects in Western Greece and more widely across the country. This position is based on the fact that the projects under construction (as a whole large development scale projects) constitute a development project, whose effects on makro level will be deep and extensive, mainly for Western Greece, but in general and for the whole country. The Observatory records, apart from the direct effects and their lasting impact on the accessibility of the transit areas, either individually and in combination with the other roads in the country.
The processing of these data in constant time base and with appropriate scientific methods and techniques, will provide useful and reliable information on the type and extent of the induced changes in the economic and social environment of their areas of influence. In turn, this information can form the basis of policy formulation and decision-invasive actionss to eliminate potential distortions and stimulate regional development.
By doing so, the Observatory is a strategic tool which, with documented scientific methods and modern infrastructure information systems (GIS etc.) collecting and processes data and then provide systematic and reliable information services on the status of the areas affected by the construction and operation of these large transportation projects.
In this context, the evaluation of the contribution of their development projects in a region and the assessment of their impact on economic, social and cultural environment their are actions with high expectations and are subject to the specific difficulties of properly identified all parameters and components of the activity in broader economic, regional and developmental context in which they operate and.
Overall the functions and activities of the Observatory are summarized in the following key components:
- Data collection.
- Organize and Data Processing.
- Organization of information in a modern information system.
- Geographic Information System Management (G.I.S.).
- Calculation of indicators.
- Timeless and systematic monitoring indicators.
- Reporting to support development policies and programs.
- Studies and research programs.
- Procurement and management studies at regional or county level for the calculation of indicators are not calculated by the Observatory.
- Promotion-diffusion of results.
- Networking and expansion activities.
- Cooperation with external partners – consultants for scientific support and effective implementation of the above.
- Collaboration and networking with other similar organizations in the Greek and International level, and with developers in the greater influence area of roads network.
The ultimate goal of the organization of the Observatory’s activities is the scientific assessment, the systematic monitoring and impartial evaluation of parameters such as:
- accessibility in the regions,
- the business mobility,
- the level of development,
- the degree of coherence,
- the interdisciplinary implications,
- consumer behavior,
- the impact on the land use,
- diffusion effects,
- demographic changes,
- intra-regional inequalities,
- housing development,
- the spatial changes,
- networking of urban centers,
- the impact on the modernization of the agricultural sector,
- tourism development,
- the development of the transport system,
- the development of transport infrastructure,
- the operation of the road network,
- the protection and enhancement of the natural and cultural environment.